5 Interior Design Trends to Expect in 2015 December 08, 2014 10:51
Each year is the start of something new and fresh and interior design is no exception. The new year brings new trends in interior design and they are important to consider when decorating your home. While you do not necessarily want your home to be filled from top to bottom with trends, it is always a good idea to incorporate new trends so that your home looks current and interesting. Start with some classic pieces that will stand the test of time and then incorporate interior design trends that you can transition as trends change from year to year. 2015 will, no doubt, be an exciting year and the trends we are seeing arise are exciting indeed. Below are a list of interior design trends to expect in 2015 and now is the time to start incorporating some of them in your own home.
- Color of 2015: Marsala
- Pantone is an authority on color and predict a new trendy color each year. This trendy color is expected to not only permeate the interior design industry but the fashion industry as well. The authorities have spoken and they have reported that Marsala is going to be the color trend of 2015. Leatrice Eisman, Executive Director for Pantone Color Institute spoke about why Marsala was chosen for 2015, “Marsala is a subtly seductive shade, one that draws us in to its embracing warmth… Nurturing and fulfilling, Marsala is a natural fit for the kitchen and dining room – making it ideal for tabletop, small appliances and linens throughout the home… This hearty, yet stylish tone is universally appealing and translates easily to fashion, beauty, industrial design, home furnishings and interiors.”
- Natural Elements
- 2015 interior design will see a lot of natural elements inside. These natural elements will be mixed with metals but bringing the outside in will be an important part of interior design. One simple way to bring a natural element in is with wood furniture pieces. We will also see many textures derived from nature such as animal prints, floral and leaf patterns as well as insect prints.
- The beautiful contrast of mixing natural elements with metal is sure to make a stunning home interior. Brass was popular in 2014 and it is sticking around for 2015. In addition to brass, other metals will be popular going into the new year. Whether bringing in vintage touches or classic pieces with brass or bringing in the industrial look with other metals, there are a lot of ways to use metal in your home. An easy way to incorporate metal accents in your home is with lighting fixtures such as an interesting table lamp or unique pendant fixture.
- Flat and one dimensional is boring. In 2015, texture in interior decor will be all the rage. There are a myriad of ways to add texture for any home design aesthetic. Woven baskets, textured pillows or rugs and fur throw blankets are just a few examples of the many ways you can add unique and interesting texture to your home that not only makes a personal statement about your design sensibilities but helps you stay on trend.
- Ethnic elements in design is something that has been used for years but in 2015 we are seeing a shift toward merging ethnic elements. The whole home does not need to have one ethnic theme. In fact, when overdone, it can look a bit extreme. The influence of many cultures in interior design will be a big trend in 2015 as people use ethnic prints and patterns on anything from upholstery, to prints, to unique artifacts that add an interesting flair to any room.